Former GroupsBesides the research groups, there exists a flexible research platform at WIAS, consisting of temporarily established groups. The following list shows all of those groups whose term has already expired:
- Elliptic Partial Differential Equations and Symmetry of Interfaces and Layers for Odd Nonlinearities
- The inverstigations of the group are dedicated to the analysis of interfaces of layers that arise, for instance, in phase transitions and surface phenomena. The focus is on the geometry, structure and regularity of the interfaces. From the mathematical viewpoint, elliptic variational problems will be addressed, in particular, problems involving fractional Laplace operators.
- Entropy Formulation of Evolutionary Phase Transitions
- The central research goal is to open new horizons with a novel mathematical formulation of physical problems. We aim to obtain relevant mathematical results in order to get further insight into new models for phase transitions and the corresponding evolution PDE systems.
- Modeling of Damage Processes
The group focussed on the modeling, analysis and simulation of damage processes. It emerged from a successful application in the Leibniz competition.
- Coupled flow processes in energy and environmental research
- Modeling of coupled flow processes is an urgent and largely unsolved interdisciplinary problem. They have eminent importance in energy research, geosciences, environmental and climate research, civil engineering and materials science.
- Mathematical Models for Lithium-Ion Batteries
- Die Themen der Gruppe sind mathematische Modellierung, Analysis, Numerische Analysis und Simulationen verschiedener Komponenten von Lithium-Ionen-Batterien.
- Probabilistic Methods for Mobile Ad-hoc Networks
- The group is performing mathematical research on connectivity and capacity problems in mobile relay-augmented probabilistic models. Its expertise includes dynamic modelling of message propagation in dense networks, bottleneck behaviour in Device-to-Device (D2D) systems, connection times in large networks without infrastructure and wifi-augmented mobil urban communications models.
- Partial Differential Equations
- Laser Dynamics
- Numerical Mathematics and Scientific Computing
- Nonlinear Optimization and Inverse Problems
- Interacting Random Systems
- Stochastic Algorithms and Nonparametric Statistics
- Thermodynamic Modeling and Analysis of Phase Transitions
- Nonsmooth Variational Problems and Operator Equations