The Weierstrass Institute for Applied Analysis and Stochastics (WIAS) is an institute of the Forschungsverbund Berlin e.V. (FVB). The FVB comprises eight non-university research institutes in Berlin which are funded by the federal and state governments. The research institutes are members of the Leibniz Association.
WIAS invites applications for a
PhD Student Position (f/m/d)
in the Research Group
(Head: PD Dr. Uwe Bandelow) starting at the earliest possible date.
- A completed scientific university education in the field of physics or mathematics with good grades.
- Ability to work on a theoretical project. Experience with Maxwell equations, modeling of optical systems, or nonlinear dynamics is an advantage.
- Experience with models based on partial differential equations and their numerical treatment. Provable knowledge of, e.g., Matlab, Python, C/C++, Mathematica is an advantage.
- Good English skills and willingness for a research stay in Australia.
The successful candidate will work on theory of short pulses and solitons propagating in optical fibers. This project is part of a collaboration between WIAS and the Institute of Photonics and Optical Science at the University of Sydney.
The initial appointment is for two years with the possibility of extension. The reduced work schedule (75 %) is 29.25 hours per week, and the salary is according to the German TVoeD scale.
Please direct your queries to Priv.-Doz. Dr. Uwe Bandelow (Uwe.Bandelow@wias-berlin.de).
The Institute aims to increase the proportion of women in this field, so applications from women are particularly welcome. Among equally qualified applicants, disabled candidates will be given preference.
Please upload complete application documents including
- Cover letter,
- Curriculum vitae,
- Photocopies of certificates and transcript of grades,
- Diploma/Master thesis, published papers/conference proceedings,
- Any other documents that can strengthen your application and proof the required skills
The search for a qualified candidate will start immediately and continue until the position is filled.
We are looking forward to your application!