Manuel J. Arenas Jaén, Ingo Bremer, Luigino Capone, Martin Eigel, Robert Gruhlke, Holger Heitsch, René Henrion, Robert Lasarzik, Manuel Marschall, Thomas Petzold, Andreas Rathsfeld
OverviewThe research group is concerned with problems in optimization and optimal control as well as inverse problems regarding up-to-date technical and economical applications. Research tasks range from theoretical questions regarding analysis and numerics of these problems to the development of efficient numerical algorithms and software to the point of the solution of application problems. In their research, the group touches almost all main application topics of the WIAS and concentrates on the topics
- stochastic and non-smooth optimization
- inverse problems for random surfaces and data
- optimal control of multi-field and multi-scale problems
- FG4 coordinates the European Industrial Doctorate (EID) project MIMESIS - Mathematics and Materials Science for Steel Production and Manufacturing within the Horizon2020 programme.
- Dietmar Hömberg was elected president of the European Consortium for Mathematics in Industry (ECMI) for 2 years.
- A colloquium on the occasion of the retirement of Dr. Gunther Schmidt took place on Monday, July 24, 2017.
- FG4 was co-organizer of a WIAS workshop on “Mathematics of Deep Learning” in September 2017.
- Partial Differential Equations
- Laser Dynamics
- Numerical Mathematics and Scientific Computing
- Nonlinear Optimization and Inverse Problems
- Interacting Random Systems
- Stochastic Algorithms and Nonparametric Statistics
- Thermodynamic Modeling and Analysis of Phase Transitions
- Nonsmooth Variational Problems and Operator Equations