WIAS is an institute of Forschungsverbund Berlin e. V. (FVB). FVB is the provider of eight non-university, scientific research institutes in Berlin that are financed by the Federal Republic of Germany and by the community of the states. These research institutes are members of the Leibniz community.
WIAS has a job opening in the Department of Computer Technology and IT for an
„IT unit manager“
Reference no. 17/17
to be filled as of now.
Area of responsibilities:
- You manage and coordinate the Computer Technology and IT unit at WIAS and take over the leading role of this area gradually, while also taking responsibility for the operating business.
- You become involved in the administration as well as the user support of the different areas at WIAS.
- You work on strategies and develop and
implement framework conditions for a user-oriented, efficient and secure IT
landscape. Towards this goal, you work closely with the institute’s
- You refine, in terms of concepts, our
heterogeneous infrastructure service and platforms (e.g. directory service
LDAP), taking into account user requirements of the scientific and
administrative personnel at WIAS.
- You coordinate the acquisition of software and hardware, as well as IT services. You strategically plan investments and put them into effect in consultation with the institute’s management.
- You cooperate with the IT unit of Forschungsverbund Berlin e. V. (FVB) as well as with the IT units of the other research institutes represented in FVB, making use of the synergy potentials of this cooperation.
- You have successfully completed a scientific university education in Informatics, Mathematics or a domain of Natural Sciences, or you possess comparable skills and expert knowledge as well as proven professional experience in the field of information technology.
- You have obtained well-founded skills and experience when it comes to managing IT projects, ideally in research facilities or universities, and you bring a basic understanding of how a scientific computer centre works.
- Team spirit and distinct service skills are a matter-of-course for you.
- You have experience in the administration of Unix-/Linux operating systems as well as of local networks, and you have the skills to configure web-servers, mail-servers as well as virtual server and storage systems.
- You have practical mastery of Java as programming language.
- You possess strong conceptual skills. In terms of communication, you are precise and committed. You are well able to communicate domain-specific contents even to non-specialist dialogue partners.
- You bring to the job a good command of written and spoken English.
- You have proven your leadership skills in a similar position before.
- You have knowledge from the Enterprise context regarding HP blade servers, storage systems and SAN hardware (such as, for example, HP 3par, Brocade), for virtualisation by means of VMware as well as expert knowledge in scientific computing are preferable.
- You have already gained experience regarding the acquisition of equipment and services, and as to how to prepare and accomplish tenders.
We offer you a challenging and multi-faceted job with opportunities to refine your professional skills. We aim to fill the position as soon as possible. Your remuneration is effected as per your qualification pursuant to TVöD (Bund), i.e. the public service collective agreement.
Please contact Prof. Dr. M. Hintermüller (email@example.com) if you require additional information.
WIAS promotes equality of opportunities. It is our goal to increase the percentage of women in leadership roles. Qualified women are therefore explicitly welcome to apply for this job. WIAS actively supports the compatibility of family and career. When equally suitable in their qualification, severely disabled applicants (male or female) will receive preferential consideration. We explicitly welcome job applications from people with migration background.
Please send your application along with the standard documents in electronic form only, and do so by no later than October 08, 2017, by means of one single PDF file indicating code number 17/17, to be sent to: